Questions that require thinking about past events in order to answer a question may give you the best prediction of future results.
Interviewees that are skilled in this method will use the STAR method to answer:
- Situation – Describe the context that situation took place
- Task – Explain which tasks you were responsible for
- Action – Describe the action taken to lead to resolution
- Result – Details of the result of the actions taken, specifically by you
Use these questions to drive your competency questions.
- Describe a time when you were faced with a decision you did not want to make. What did you do?
- Tell me about a time when you had to make a difficult decision. What process did you go through to arrive at the decision?
- Tell me about a time you had to make a decision that would impact a number of other people. How did you go about it?
- Do you tend to make decisions quickly and instinctively or more slowly and methodically?
- Tell me about a time when your method did not achieve the results you expected. What happened and what did you do?
- It can be difficult to use good judgment when everyone else seems to disagree with your approach. Tell me about a time when you had to go against the wishes/needs of the group. What did you do?
- How did you explain your reasoning? What was the result?
- Have you ever received negative feedback from a manager, employer or coworker? How did you handle it?
Budgeting/ Cost Consciousness
- Give me an example of a time when you had to reduce expenses. How did you determine where to cut costs? What was the impact?
- Tell me about a time when it was difficult to stay within your approved budget. What did you do? What was the result?
Coaching and Motivation
- Describe the process you use to set and achieve goals.
- Give me an example of a time when you faced obstacles that were keeping you from meeting a goal. What did you do?
- What is the greatest risk you’ve taken in the last three years and what motivated you to take it?
- Tell me about a time you delegated a task or project to someone and met with resistance. What did you do?
- Describe the process you use to determine what to delegate to whom. Give me an example of a time when this worked successfully
- Tell me about a task or project you completed that required a very high level of accuracy and thoroughness. What steps did you take to ensure both were achieved?
- Tell me about a quality improvement that you initiated and implemented. How did it improve the organization?
Safety and Security
- Tell me about a time when you potentially had to compromise a safety or security procedure to expedite a task you had to complete.
- Have you ever participated on a Safety Committee? If so, what was your role? What were your responsibilities?
- Tell me about a potentially unsafe condition that you had to report or correct. What was the potential impact if it had not been corrected?
- Tell me about your experience with ergonomics. Give me an example of an unsafe ergonomic condition that you experienced and what you did about it.
- Give me an example of a time when you had to go above and beyond to meet your project goal.
- Describe a situation in which you knew you would not be able to meet a deadline. What did you do?
- Tell me about a time when you did not agree with the direction given you. How did you address the conflict?
- Give me an example of a time when you had to go above and beyond to meet your project goal
Tell me about a situation when you did not respond appropriately. What did you do?
- Tell me about a time when you had difficulty keeping a commitment. How did you handle it?
- When have you completed a difficult task as part of a team?
- Describe how you have positively contributed to a team.
- How have you contributed to the improvement of a team’s overall performance in the past?
- Have you ever had to work with someone you didn’t get along with? If so, how did you make the situation better?
Customer Service/ Project Management
- Have you ever had to resolve a customer complaint? If so, how did you resolve it?
- Describe communication to me and tell me how you have resolved a misunderstanding.
Manager - People
- Describe how you manage your staff.
- How have you handled conflict with your staff members?
- How do you hire your team?